24 March 2006

On the road / tracks / clouds again: Four days, four countries


(Kaiserslautern, with the football stadium in the background)


(Mannheim, first place to change trains. Beautiful station with Hotspot)

I just loooove travelling. Especially when you feel like you have to many choices to spend your time with, a comfy chair, no annoying kids around and a socket to plug a powerbook in. Like now.
Sitting in an ICE, a really fast german train, on my way to Basel in Switzerland. So much more relaxing than the flight yesterday from Finland to Germany with Ryanair (crappy seats, no space, bad air, exorbitant prices)
The only thing that is missing in this train is an Internet connection. Funnily enough I just had access to a hotspot while the train was in the station, and while I was doing a survey that would have given me a voucher for some free minutes of access, the train rolled out of the station... Who made that survey? It took more than ten minutes, and I was only halfway through when my wlan-meter told me that there was no signal anymore. Shame!


Much easier to read a newspaper. Or a book. Last time I checked, the biggest avialable selection of magazines (printed periodical publications) was in Germany, or in german language. We cover everything! Funniest thing I found rummaging through the station's newsagent was "Wedding style". Who needs that? No one wants to marry anymore, and few and fewer people have enough money for fancy weddings. Is there a market for that? I don't think so.



Better reading: "Die Zeit", a very good german weekly newspaper in the biggest ever format: You need about a meter of arms width if you unfold it, about two secret agents should be able to hide behind one page. Plus a sniper team. And their operation central. Biiiig newspaper. But I should continue reading...or should I watch a movie...or listen to music... life is hard!

(Basel / Switzerland, the german railway station -there are two others. Looks almost like a little version of Helsinki's...)

3 Comments:

At 25/3/06 00:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ay, Du bist in Basel?
Wie lange denn?

 
At 26/3/06 00:55, Blogger Dominik said...

Hey Ulli! Leider nur ein Tag / Nacht, bin schon wieder in Deutschland und ab Montag in Helsinki. Melde mich aber mal bei Dir morgen oder übermorgen.

 
At 28/3/06 00:35, Blogger Pia said...

hey! never told me you were travelling out there to the big big world! Have a nice vacation dompster!

I´m also looking forward to travelling... to HELSINKI!!! Only ten days left or so!

pia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home